Thursday, December 31, 1992

1992 Clarke Award Nominees

Location: United Kingdom.

Comments: I have not read either Pat Cadigan's Synners or Paul J. McAuley's Eternal Light, but I have read Stephen Baxter's Raft, and I found it to be an excellent book. If those two books turn out to be better than Baxter's imagined universe where gravity is a thousand times stronger than it is in our universe, then I will be pleasantly surprised. I think this highlights the overwhelming nature of printed science fiction in the modern world. I've read a lot of science fiction, and I have the sagging bookshelves to prove it. But in many award years, I find that I have read only a few of the nominated works, and frequently I haven't read the winners. This isn't because I've been avoiding them, I just haven't gotten to them yet, because there is simply so much excellent published science fiction turned out every year that it is almost impossible to keep up with it.

Winner
Synners by Pat Cadigan

Runner-Up
Eternal Light by Paul J. McAuley

Shortlist
The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
Raft by Stephen Baxter
Subterranean Gallery by Richard Paul Russo
White Queen by Gwyneth Jones

What Are the Arthur C. Clarke Awards?

Go to previous year's nominees: 1991
Go to subsequent year's nominees: 1993

Book Award Reviews     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment