Monday, May 7, 2012

Musical Monday - Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel) by Kansas


Sometimes an idea that spins into an entire story or gaming setting is sparked by a single song. Last week, I was listening to Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel) and was hit by an idea that I am going to grow into my next D&D campaign setting that I have tentatively called the Floating Islands. If you care, you can follow along as I noodle through its development over the next couple of months on my hitherto sadly neglected role-playing blog Playing in Other Worlds.

The Kansas song itself is fantastic, referencing the ill-fated Icarus from Greek mythology and comparing his story to the joys of flying an airplane (hence, the "wings of steel"). But for me this song has always sparked powerful images in my mind of flying through the clouds unaided by anything other than willpower and magic and literally climbing mountains floating in the sky. I imagine myself soaring over golden clouds that are reflecting the setting sun as I cruise through the air to towering black mountains that float atop the shining mist. In my mind, it is glorious.

Subsequent Musical Monday: Do You Wanna Date My Avatar by The Guild

Kansas     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment