Saturday, May 23, 2015

Book Blogger Hop May 22nd - May 28th: 105 Is Part of a Ruth-Aaron Pair With 104

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Why would you stop reading a book? Too long, wrong genre, bad language, not what you expected, or something totally different?

It depends on why I am reading the book. If I am reading a book that I have been given to review, I will read through it no matter what happens. It might be a slog through bad writing, poor plotting, and cardboard characters, but I will grind through and then write a review that discusses all of these factors.

If I am reading a book for my own edification or enjoyment, the most likely reasons I will put it down are if it bores me, or if the writing is bad enough to push me out of the book. To be perfectly honest, the first rarely happens unless the second is also true, so they are only very slightly different reasons in my experience, but they do diverge every once in a while.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

4 comments:

  1. I won't read a review book if it is not to my liking. I simply let the publisher or author know.

    Bad language is one thing that keeps me from reading...bad language meaning swearing and disrespect to women.

    I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elizabeth: If I have agreed to review a book, I will review it, not matter how good or bad it is. If I receive a book unsolicited (which happens once in a while), I will review it if It turns out to be worth reading. If I bounce off of it, I'll just put it back in the pile and quietly forget about it.

      Delete
  2. It's rare for me to not finish any book. It has to be just horrible for me to give up on it. New follower via GFCMy Hop

    Bunnita @ Worth Reading It?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bunnita: I usually finish the books that I start, even if it takes me a couple of tries. The only books I have found that I drop with any regularity are self-published e-books, and of those, only the ones that are terrible.

      Delete